Ref NoD-STW
TitleSTEWARTS OF FERNDOWN.
Date1850-1999
Extent0.42636 cu.m.
[19 Standard Boxes]
0.1258344 cu.m.
[3 X-Large Boxes]
0.0527324 cu.m.
[4 Flats]
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryIn 1835 John Stewart transferred the nurseries of his father, Charles Stewart, to Broughty Ferry, near Dundee, and continued their seed business from premises in Dundee. John's two sons, William and David, continued in the nursery business. William managed the Broughty Ferry nurseries, while David travelled to southern England and in 1864 started a branch nursery at Ferndown in Dorset.. One of his sons, A.F.Martin Stewart, continued the business, trading as D.Stewart & Son, undertaking tree moving, landscaping, and the laying out of tennis courts and golf courses, including Ferndown golf course in 1913-1914. Various branch nurseries were established, including ones at Deans Park and Strouden in Bournemouth.. In the 1950s, the Ferndown nursery was moved to Broomhill near Wimborne. It was during this time that Edward C.M.Stewart, son of A.F.M.Stewart, introduced the idea of containerisation of plants into Britain, using large tin cans as plant pots.. Edward (Ted) Stewart was a keen pilot, flying Mosquito aircraft in Burma towards the end of World War II. He continued flying after the war, including a trip to North America, where he wrote in 1955 from Toronto that the future of nurseries lay in becoming 'garden centres'. He created his first 'garden centre' in adapted sheds at Ferndown in 1955 and opened the first purpose-built centre in Britain, Garden-Lands, at Christchurch in 1961.. During the 1970s a garden shop was opened on the site of the nursery at Broomhill and later became the Country Garden Centre. The business expanded to include interior landscaping and grounds maintenance.. After the death of Edward Stewart in 1982, the business was run by his son, David Martin Stewart..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019