Ref NoPE-PTD
TitlePORTLAND PARISH.
DescriptionRegisters (1564-1979), Services (1912-1994), Incumbent (1973), Churchwardens (1723-1985), Parochial Church Council (1934-1979), Overseers of the Poor (1696-1742), Statutory Deposits (1887-1899), Special Committees (1766-1867), Miscellaneous (1890-1925)
Date1564 - 1994
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryThe ancient parish church of Portland was St Andrew, Church Hope, some remains of which are still extant in what are now the grounds of the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel. By 1765 a new parish church had been built at Reforme, dedicated to St George. The ecclesiastical centre was transferred again when All Saints Church, Easton, was completed in 1917. St George's is now redundant. In 1840 the daughter church of St John the Baptist was built for the Underhill district [parish records in the Record Office - see PE/PTD(STJ)]. In 1872 the parish church of St Peter was built to serve the Grove area and the prison, (see PE/PTD(SP)) and in 1879 the church of St Andrew, Southwell, was opened as a chapel-of-ease to St George's (later All Saints).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019