Ref NoNP.6
TitleSHAFTESBURY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH/UNITED REFORMED CHURCH.
Date1706-1997
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryThe Presbyterian faith in Shaftesbury can trace its history back to 1662 when ejected ministers from the Anglican Church began preaching in private homes. In 1670 a Meeting House was built to serve the growing Presbyterian congregation, and other property, to be used as a Manse by the minister, was purchased in 1700. In 1707 a new, larger Meeting House was opened, replacing the 1670 church. . The church continued to adhere to the Presbyterian faith until 1732 when it formally adopted Congregational doctrines. Until 1836 Shaftesbury, as a town had no school, but in that year a school was built under the auspices of the Congregational church, teaching the British and Foreign School Society???s curriculum. On Sundays the school was used by the Congregational Church as a base for its Sunday school. In 1859 the Meeting House of 1707, being in much disrepair was pulled down and replaced with a new, larger church on Muston???s Lane. In 1972 the Congregational Church became the Shaftesbury United Reformed Church. This collection is not fully catalogued. The catalogued sections have individual document reference numbers. Brief descriptions have been provided for the uncatalogued sections. The uncatalogued sections of this collection may be consulted at the Dorset History Centre, but it may take longer to locate individual documents and you may wish to contact us in advance for an assessment of this collection..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020