Ref NoD-PPY
TitlePOOLE POTTERY ARCHIVE.
Date1855-2010
LevelFonds
AdminHistoryIn 1873 Jesse Carter set up a pottery manufacturing business known as Carter & Co. at Poole's East Quay, having bought a failed pottery business there. His company made architectural ceramics and the work expanded to include mosaic floor tiling, fireplaces and decorative pottery.. In 1895 he bought the Patent Architectural Pottery in Hamworthy, which later became the floor tile factory. There was also a company office in London. In 1901 Jesse Carter retired and the business was taken over by his sons Owen and Charles Carter. . In 1921 an independent but subsidiary company was set up within Carter & Co. by Charles Carter's son Cyril Carter, and designers Harold Stabler and John Adams. The company was known as Carter, Stabler & Adams or CSA and became known for its decorative pottery and tableware. It made use of various designers, including Harold Stabler, John Adams, Olive Bourne and Arthur Bradbury. The designer of most of the floral patterns that Poole pottery became known for was Truda Adams, later Truda Carter.. CSA remained at the East Quay factory which was redeveloped in the late 1940s, while the mosaic and floor tile-making was transferred to Carter & Co.'s tile works factory. Another pottery, acquired c.1905 in Hamworthy and known as the White Works, produced wall tiles. In 1958 Carter & Co. became the name for a holding company and the tile works business became Carter Tiles.. The tile-making side of the business did much tile work, both interior and exterior, throughout England, Wales, Ireland and abroad. All types of buildings had work done on them, ranging from cinemas and hospitals to fire stations and domestic housing. The company also produced panelled tile panels or tile murals for hospitals, shopping precincts, schools, shops, churches and public houses, from the early 20th century to the 1960s, with designs by James Radley Young, Ivor Kamlish, Jo Ledger, Adam Kossowki, A.B.Read, Peggy Angus and Michael Inchbald.. Many designers worked for CSA and Poole Pottery. John Adams designed Streamline and other tableware in the 1930s; A.B.Read produced new pattern designs and shapes in the 1950s; Robert Jefferson designed Contour and Compact tableware in the 1960s. Tony Morris produced many designs from the 1970s to the 1990s; Barbara Lindsay Adams produced animal figurines and plaques; Ros Sommerfelt, Elaine Williamson and Leslie Elsden produced designs for giftware during the 1970s. The company became well-known in the 1970s for its brightly coloured Delphis ware, with each pattern a unique design by a paintress. Aegean ware was developed by Leslie Elsden and the Atlantis range by Guy Sydenham. During the 1980s Style tableware was designed by Robert Jefferson, Flair and Astral ranges by the Queensbury Hunt Partnership, the Concert range by Elaine Williamson and Campden tableware by Robert Welch.. Many table- and giftware patterns were produced in the 1990s by various designers, including Anita Harris, Alan Clarke, Rachel Barker and Andrew Brickett. A Poole Studio collection was launched in 1996 with designers such as Sir Terry Frost, Sally Tuffin, Charlotte Mellis and Janice Tchalenko, with Tony Morris creating many one-off designs for Studio dishes. Between 2000 and 2003 the company produced tableware which included patterns by Uri Geller and Aldo Zilli. In 1963 CSA officially became Poole Pottery Ltd, though the name Poole Pottery was used much earlier. In 1964 Carter & Co. and all its subsidiary companies merged with Pilkington's Tiles Ltd and in turn, in 1971, they were taken over by the Thomas Tilling Group and in 1983 by British Tyres and Rubber. In 1992 Poole Pottery Ltd became an independent company. In 2001 the company moved to a site in Sopers Lane, Poole, from East Quay and the original pottery site was redevloped as office and retail buildings. After several changes of ownership, the pottery went into administration in 2003. The name was taken over by The Lifestyle Group, who continued to produce Poole pottery in Staffordshire. The wall tile factory closed c.1997 and the site was later redeveloped for housing. The floor tile factory continued as a business, though not under the Carter name..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019