Ref NoD-BTM/B/1
TitleThe Bridport Net and Twine Industries.
LevelSeries
AdminHistoryDuring the nineteenth century, net and twine manufacturing was well established in Bridport. In 1858, for instance, there were 14 distinct firms manufacturing nets, cordage and canvas, and in 1900 there were 15, five firms having dropped out to be replaced by six new ones. Between 1910 and 1914 Wm. Hounsell and Co Ltd, Herbert Hounsell and Co Ltd, Ewens and Turner and Richard Tucker and Sons were amalgamated into a new company: Hounsells (Bridport) Ltd. Between 1914 and 1920 Wm. Edwards and Son (later W. Edwards and Son (Bridport) Ltd) absorbed Thomas Budden and Son and Albert Norman and Son. In 1939 Rendall and Coombs Ltd amalgamated with Wm. James & Co. and in 1945 this firm joined forces with W Edwards and Son (Bridport) Ltd. This combination in 1946 absorbed Wm. Gale and Sons. In 1947 Bridport Industries Ltd was formed and acquired both the Edwards and Hounsell groups. Finally in 1963 the remaining independent firm, Joseph Gundry and Co. Ltd., united with Bridport Industries Ltd. to form Bridport-Gundry Ltd..
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020